Year 7 Languages
What will my child study in Languages during Year 7?
In Year 7, students study French, German or Spanish following National Curriculum Guidelines. The course content varies slightly from one language to another, but during the year students will study the following:
- Family & Friends
- Christmas Traditions
How will my child be assessed and how will I know how well they are doing in Languages in Year 7?
Regular low stakes / mini assessments are held throughout the term in the four skill areas of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Students’ progress is assessed each term against the stage descriptors. As they develop their skills, students can understand, say, read and write:
- single words
- short phrases
- longer sentences and phrases
- paragraphs including opinions
What homework will my child be expected to do in Year 7 in Languages?
- Each student will be expected to complete a minimum of four pieces of homework per half term. This may consist of written work or vocabulary learning.
- They should spend 30-40 minutes on the tasks.
How can I support my child to do well in Languages during Year 7?
- Ensure that homework tasks are completed on time.
- Use the Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check method of learning new words and phrases and break this down into several short revision sessions.
- Encourage them to ask the teacher for help if there are any difficulties.
- Provide access to our online learning resources – your child will have details of these.
What equipment may my child need in addition to the standard school equipment?
We recommend the Oxford Learner’s (French/ Spanish) Dictionary; available from most bookshops.
By the end of the year, what would an 'expert' be able to do in Languages?
- Work out and give the meaning of words they know.
- Use high frequency words.
- Use the present tense accurately and use some phrases in the past.
- Check and improve their work, both written and spoken.
- Take part in class using the language they are learning.
My child is struggling during the course, what additional help is available to help them keep up?
- Use of Language Gym - Home (language-gym.com) – each student has been provided with their own username / login to help with their studies.
- SamLearning & Quizlet provide quizzes linked to the topics
Updated September 2023