Year 7 Geography
What will my child study in Geography during Year 7?
Topics for study:
- UK – Our Island Home
- Map skills – Understanding Locational Knowledge
- Geology and tectonics – How our landscapes are made
- Africa – Place Study looking at the African continent
- Weather (and Fieldwork) – How and why we get our weather
- Russia – Place study of Russia looking at Human and Physical Geography
How will my child be assessed and how will I know how well they are doing in Geography in Year 7?
- Modular assessments are held after each unit of work (usually every 5/6 weeks).
- In Year 7 students are expected to be able to describe and explain the location of geographical features and patterns and recognise physical and human processes. Students are expected to ask questions based on their knowledge. Some students should also be able to select information and suggest plausible conclusions to their investigations.
What homework will my child be expected to do in Year 7 in Geography?
Homework will be set fortnightly with the aim of extending geographical understanding, literacy and numeracy.
How can I support my child to do well in Geography during Year 7?
Please ensure that homework is completed on time.
Encourage your child to respond to questions using geographical vocabulary and with extended answers.
Encourage your child to ask for help if there are any difficulties.
What equipment may my child need in addition to the standard school equipment?
All students need a pen, pencil, ruler and rubber.
Coloured pencils (not felt tipped pens) are also helpful.
By the end of the year, what would an 'expert' be able to do in Geography?
- Understand methods and individually collect and record evidence from primary and secondary resources and to analyse, draw conclusions and communicate these effectively.
- Understand, recall and use geographical terminology and use ‘tools’ including ICT effectively in defining places, locations and patterns and in explaining their interdependence
My child is struggling during the course, what additional help is available to help them keep up?
All students have access to Kerboodle which provides online text books for the topics we cover in class. SAM Learning provides quizzes linked to the topics. The National Academy also provide online lessons on the topics covered in the National Curriculum
Updated September 2023