Year 7 Art
What will my child study in Art during Year 7?
- What is Art? – Different Art movements and famous artist.
- Colour and Texture – Basic Colour Theory and painting skills
- Line/Shading styles and Tone – skills and knowledge about 2D and 3D drawing
- The Style and Influence of Hundertwasser / Van Gogh – Learning about the artist and experimenting with mark making.
How will my child be assessed and how will I know how well they are doing in Art in Year 7?
- Work will be assessed with a grade for individual pieces of work on an A*to D grade system. A grade B is an indicator of average ability within their Year Group.
- As well as a grade for quality of work, the work will be given an effort grade. 1 – 4 is the EFFORT GRADE. 1 is for outstanding effort. 2 is the expected level, representing a GOOD amount of effort. 3 is some/little effort shown. 4 is extremely poor/ no real effort shown.
What homework will my child be expected to do in Year 7 in Art?
- At least one homework is set each half term.
- It will take an on average between 30 minutes and an hour.
- Some will be research tasks, and some will be drawing based tasks.
- They will need access to a pencil and most likely a set of coloured pencils / pens.
How can I support my child to do well in Art during Year 7?
Ensure that all homework tasks are completed on time.
What equipment may my child need in addition to the standard school equipment?
- Please equip your child with an HB pencil, a 4B pencil, a set of coloured pencils and, if possible, a tin of water colour paints, as homework is often required to be completed in colour.
By the end of the year, what would an 'expert' be able to do in Art?
- By the end of the Year 7 students should be able to master the basic drawing and painting skill that they have learnt. They will also need to know how to use correct terminology while describing art work.
My child is struggling during the course, what additional help is available to help them keep up?
- If your child is struggling in Art please ask them to be pro-active during the lesson and speak to the teacher directly for support. We also run catch-ups sessions after school that will benefit any student that wants more additional help.
Updated July 2023